Thursday, January 9, 2014

Inking while Jewish



The day I turned 18 I purchased a tattoo. I'd had the design for two years, drawn by a friend. The moment I saw the image I thought, "I could grow old with this tattoo." After two years I was determined. My tattoo artist, concerned by my selected location and the amount of shading and lining, tried very hard to sway me. He recommended a smaller image, in a different place but I was hell bent on a permanent brocade on my spine. Obviously he relented.

A few years later I came across a poem by Akiko Yosano. "I need to grow old with this poem." I waited for two more years of studying Nihongo. Asked my Sensei to approve the kanji script. In a surprise she informed me that the kanji was old, outdated, not the current way that things are transcribed. The poem was already old. It wanted to grow older with me. Occasionally I would show it to exchange students. "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!" Occasionally I was told, "That is an old kanji." Oh, I know. It is supposed to be. 
Since the accident I have wanted to get another tattoo. Perhaps one without a two year wait time. I'm alive, damn it. I should be allowed one inkily brash decision. Time tested an true I'll find something lovely and without foolishness.

I thought of "Never tell me the odds!" placed by my surgery scar.

I then brain stormed, "Live long and prosper." Followed by the breathtaking and difficult idea... I wonder how one says/reads, "Live long and prosper." in Hebrew. Would Leonard Nimoy approve? I feel Spock would find it logical.

Another poem. Perhaps a chai on my heart. An om on my right wrist.

I don't have a tattoo artist in Las Cruces that I can trust with anything so crucial. There is an artist in New Orleans that I know I can trust.

I have never been, nor will I ever be ashamed or regretful about my ink.

People like to charge me with a damning judgment, "You can't get another tattoo. Aren't you Jewish now?" Well, thank you for asking. I have, in fact, always been Jewish. I just wasn't aware until recently. I have always felt that my body is my temple and I will decorate as I see fit. A personal decision that will never change. 

"You can't get buried in a Jewish cemetery if you have tattoos." Thank you for your concern but 1- that is untrue. A myth. I can get buried in a Jewish cemetery. 2- I don't plan on being buried. I plan on being cremated after as many of my parts as needed are donated to those in need. I am then quizzed on whether or not that is allowed. My interpretation of the mitzvah of saving a human life is between me and God. I do not feel he would be disappointed in my decision.

On those two talking points I am free to get more tattoos if I chose. I need to talk to Rex at Idle Hands in Nola when I visit next.

So HOW does one say, "Live long and prosper." in Hebrew?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I went to a poetry reading at Cafe Mayapan , in El Paso Texas. A poetry scene exists here. But I’ve been slunking around the city, cau...